This building located in the heart of the Vatican gardens was the first radio station built by the inventor of this technology: Guglielmo Marconi.
Shortly after the establishment of the Vatican City State, Pope Pius XI asked Marconi to build a radio transmitter. The station opened in 1931.
Vatican Radio Technical Museum
The Pope needed a radio, a sovereign and independent means of information, like the new state that had just been created.
Today, the Marconi building is the Vatican Radio Technical Museum. It was opened in 1995 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the invention of radio, and to pay tribute to its inventor.
The exhibit includes 180 pieces of equipment used by Vatican Radio since its beginning, and other items like this replica of Marconis first transmitter, this Edison Bell record player, or this microphone that was used by Pius XI.